So my last post was a bit of a dig on the Irish. Don't get me wrong, the people of Dublin are lovely and I haven't met too many unsavory Irishmen and women. Just coming from another culture, I had to put in my two cents.
I wanted this post to detail the splendid qualities of the Irish and of Ireland in general. So here we go…
1. The Irish are truly very friendly and generally very accommodating people. Though it is interesting to hear foreigners speak about how friendly both the Americans and Irish are. I will have to do more of my own personal research to see that of the people who have been to both Ireland and America, which people they find to be more friendly. :)
2. Irish people know to truly enjoy a nice day, since they don't come around too often. Once the sun comes out, everyone's out at Stephen's Green or their nearest sunny spot at a pub…my favorite being the Barge.
3. Dublin does not have much, if any really good Mexican food (at least that I've tried). However, they do have an abundance of tasty burrito shops. Unfortunately, really none of them do breakfast burritos. Such a missed opportunity there. :(
4. Ireland is truly beautiful if you get out of Dublin. Ireland is known for being green and lush, and it does not disappoint. I have yet to go to all of the most beautiful places, including the Cliffs of Moher, but I have seen true beauty in Howth, Glendalough, Powerscourt, and Bray, to name a few of the exquisite locations I’ve been to. That's what all this horrid rain does though, it makes Ireland truly the Emerald Isle.
5. The Irish know how to have a good time, despite the weather being shit all the time. There is a pub on almost every corner, and clubs that stay open even later. However, this might be part of some people's downfall (ahem, probably myself).
6. Black tea with milk. This has become something that I enjoy very much. As an American, we do not drink tea with milk and we do not have electric kettles. These are two things that I do now cherish.
7. These are things I will not get to experience with my limited time here, and my struggles to find work, but check this out. The Irish get I believe nearly a month of paid holiday time a year. COME ON AMERICA, get your shit together! People have proven to be happier and more satisfied with their lives if they get to spend a bit more time away from that 9-5 grind.
8. Dublin has a fairly good public transportation system. Granted, the two lines of the LUAs (lightrail) do not connect, however they are working on connecting them. The bus system works just fine as well.
9. Fresh produce and Irish grown meat rock! Another thing I cherish about not being in America, is you know and can read on nutritional labels that the food here is less chemically laden, and has fewer preservatives and extra added ingredients, so I am eating healthier food and produce, which I am all about!
Overall, there will always be things to love and hate about any culture and people. Despite the tone of my previous post, in my book, I think the Irish are pretty cool after all. ;)